Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What's in my bag

 Driver: Titleist 905R 10.5 degrees 
Graphite Design YS-6+ Regular Flex, standard length/lie
 

 Ever played with that golfer who can work the ball both ways off the tee and seems to do it just for fun?  When I’m swinging well, I’m that guy.  For some reason, I’ve only ever been able to work the ball both ways with Titleist drivers. While I’ve hit other drivers that go farther, I have yet to find that magical combination of distance and workability that this club has.  



3-wood: Cleveland Mashie FW 
Miyazaki 59R, standard length/lie
 

This is the newest addition to the bag and is currently one of my favorites. I’m still getting to know this club, but in the couple rounds I’ve played with it, I’ve been absolutely smoking it.  There’s something about the lightweight shaft and the good-looking clubhead that inspires confidence when I set up over the ball. I suppose consistently hitting it high, straight, and long helps too.


20* Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi 

Exsar HS2 Stiff Flex, standard length/lie
24* Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi 

Exsar HS2 Stiff Flex, standard length/lie
 

 It took me a long time to find hybrids that I could hit consistently.  I found other hybrids to be too light (Taylormade), too ugly (Callaway), or too harsh (Nike).  While I liked the look & feel of Titleist hybrids, I seemed to always block them out to the right.  Finally, I bought these on a whim and have been playing them ever since.  I battle the blocks with these every now and again (further proof that my hybrid troubles had more to do with my swing than the clubs), but overall they’ve been the best hybrids I’ve found for my swing.  The piercing ball-flight and muted click off the clubface that has led many low-handicappers to ask about my hybrids.

 


5 - PW: Cleveland CG Red 
Dynamic Gold SL S300, standard length, flat lie angle
 

 Before this set, I was playing a set of forged Mizuno blades from the 80s.  These Clevelands are so much more forgiving, and launch the ball higher and softer.  I’ve been hitting so many more greens since I made the switch.  If you’re still playing blades and you don’t have the time to practice like you used to, do yourself a favor and find a set of cavity backs.  If you’re worried about the feel of cast, there are plenty of forged cavity backs out there these days.  But don’t rule out cast- you might be surprised at just how solid (and not harsh) a cast head can feel.  


 






52* wedge: Cleveland CG10, mid bounce, standard length/lie
A gift from a friend who received free gear from Cleveland, this instantly became a favorite for full-swing wedge shots.  This club has set me up for more birdies than any other club in the bag.  

56* wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled, 10* bounce, standard length/lie
This club predates the groove rule change, so I wouldn’t be allowed to play it in a USGA- sanctioned event.  The reason I play it is because I think the rule change was short-sighted and I didn’t want to get rid of a perfectly good club that I love.  Around the greens and out of the sand, this is as good as it gets and it’s basically the only club I use from 60 yards and in.  When my short game is on, I feel like I can get up and down from anywhere.....as long as I have this wedge.  

58* wedge: Nike VR, 10* bounce, standard length/lie
I bought this club used just about a month ago and it replaced the 60* Vokey I had been playing.  I was finding that the high loft (60*) and low bounce (4*) of the Vokey made it so I could only use it in very specific situations that didn’t come up very often.  With a little less loft, and a lot more bounce, the Nike is so much more versatile.  I’ve even found myself using it instead of my beloved 56* Vokey for shots around the green where I need a little more loft.  What I love most about this club is the weighting- it feels nice and heavy, but the weight also feels evenly distributed.  







Putter: C-Groove Mallet, 33”
This is the putter I’ve been using for about 6 months now.  Putting is the weakest part of my game, and as such I tend to switch putters every 3 or 4 months.  I bought this putter used back in high school after I realized that I struggled with distance control with putters that had soft inserts (I was playing with a friend’s Nubbins putter at the time and putting on slow and grainy greens in Hawaii).  This putter has a very firm feel and makes a very metallic (and rather unpleasant) sound. I find myself going back to this putter during the winter months when the greens I play tend to get pretty slow.  I recently picked up a used Odyssey White Hot Tour #9 that I may put in the bag this summer when the greens get quicker.  Or I might go back to my old 2 Ball.  Or there’s the White Hot #7.  Or the Never Compromise blade with the fat grip. Or...you get the point.   

No comments:

Post a Comment